The adoptions that I thought were taking place today are in fact happening tomorrow, and as there is no news from the SPA, we thought it might be good to once again remind people of Christmas foods that are toxic to dogs.
Moira posted earlier today about a dog who has just undergone kidney dialysis after having eaten a large amount of raisins which were intended for the Christmas cake. Raisins (and indeed grapes) are one of several seasonal foods which should not be given to your pets. Mince pies and Christmas pudding (both traditional British treats) all contain raisins, obviously. Others no-no’s include chocolate, and alcohol. Just because we enjoy it, it does not mean it is suitable for dogs.
We tend to eat a lot more meat at this time of year, too, so please keep a careful eye on how you dispose of bones. Once cooked, bones become brittle and splinter easily. This can lead to larger fragments getting stuck causing obstructions. Smaller pieces can cause gut irritation and perforation. And Christmas favourites such as turkey, chicken and goose are all hollow-boned animals, meaning these bones will splinter either raw or cooked. They must never be given to your dog.
Please keep an eye on the decorations, too. And not just the chocolate ones. Mistletoe is poisonous to dogs and can cause stomach upsets, as can poinsettia. And make sure your dogs don’t eat tinsel….
Gosh, reading this makes you just want to forget the whole Christmas thing. Seriously, though, with a little bit of extra care and attention, pets can have a wonderful festive time along with their owners.
Last week a visitor to the SPA told us how on Christmas Eve, each of her animals is given a small portion of foie gras and smoked salmon, both traditional seasonal foods in France. Neither are harmful, (unless of course you happen to be the goose or fish who has produced the food) and there is nothing at all wrong with giving your pets some extra treats so they can join in the celebrations.
Of course the best seasonal treat for a refuge dog would be to have a new home for Christmas, and there are still a few days left for this to become a reality.
Most of these foods are poisonous to dogs.
(Oh good, more for me!)