As we are approaching the vendange season I thought that I would remind you all that grapes can be poisonous to dogs. If you walk your dogs in or around vineyards please make sure that they don’t scoff grapes off the ground or indeed off the vine. If you do you are playing Russian roulette with the life of your pet..is it worth the risk?
Not only is it grape time but its also ‘conker’ season too. They too can be harnful to dogs so dont let you dog chew on them.
Grapes and conkers aren’t the only food stuff to poison dogs so here are the most common:
Alcohol – I’m sure you’ve heard of the birthday parties where the dog accidentally gets into some of the spilled keg beer, and then gets all silly to the amusement of the crowd. While it may be funny to you, it’s not funny to your dog. Alcohol can cause not only intoxication, lack of coordination, poor breathing, and abnormal acidity, but potentially even coma and/or death.
Apple Seeds – Apple seeds are toxic to a dog as they contain a natural chemical that releases cyanide when digested. So, be sure to core and seed apples before you feed them to your dog.
Avocado – Avocados contain Persin, which can cause diarrhoea, vomiting, and heart congestion..
Bones – The danger with bones isn’t the nutritional content, nor is it necessarily the danger of chocking. Rather, you need to be careful with cooked bones from meat sources such as chicken and fish because they can harm your dog’s digestive tract when the bones splinter inside the body.
Candy and chewing gum – Not only does candy contain sugar, but it often contains Xylitol, which can lead to the over-release of insulin, kidney failure, and worse.
Chocolate – You’ve probably heard this before, but chocolate is a definite no no for your pup. And it’s not just about caffeine, which is enough to harm your dog by itself, but theobromine and theophylline, which can be toxic, cause panting, vomiting, and diarrhoea, and damage your dog’s heart and nervous systems.
Citrus oil extracts – Can cause vomiting.
Grapes and raisins – This is one that lots of dog owners are unaware of. Grapes contain a toxin that can cause severe liver damage and kidney failure. We’ve heard stories of dogs dying from only a handful of grapes so do not feed your pup this toxic food.
Liver – Avoid feeding too much liver to your dog. Liver contains quite a bit of Vitamin A, which can adversely affect your pup’s muscles and bones.
Macadamia nuts – These contain a toxin that can inhibit locomotory activities, resulting in weakness, panting, swollen limbs, and tremors as well as possible damage to your dog’s digestive, nervous, and muscle systems.
Onions, garlic, and chives – No matter what form they’re in (dry, raw, cooked, powder, within other foods), onions and garlic (especially onions) are some of the absolute worst foods you could possibly give your pup (it’s poisonous for dogs, and its even worse for cats). They contain disulfides and sulfoxides (thiosulphate), both of which can cause anemia and damage red blood cells.
Xylitol – A sugar alcohol found in gum, candies, baked goods, and other sugar-substituted items, Xylitol, while causing no apparent harm to humans, is extremely toxic to dogs. Even small amounts can cause low blood sugar, seizures, liver failure, even death for your pup.
To be safe keep all foodstuffs well out of reach, especially if like me you have greedy Labradors!
So how would you know if your dog has been poisoned? Watch out for obvious signs like vomiting and diarrhoea, staggering, unsteadiness or even seizures. If you are at all worried contact your vet right away!